Monday, November 10, 2008

The Shack

My cousin Janette brought me a copy of The Shack a month ago. She said she wanted to keep her copy, so she bought a fresh, clean book and delivered it to me. Her explanation was that she had marked passages in hers and underlined and noted thoughts and left "post-it" reminders to return to various pages, and she wanted to keep her copy. When she handed me the new copy she said, "All I ask is that when you finish, you pass this copy or a new one to someone else."

I knew in reason that once I started this book, I would not want to stop, so I kept putting it off. I needed to finish Barack Obama's book, The Audacity of Hope. Many friends had asked, "Have you read The Shack?" I would reply that I had not, but it was "on my list!" I also needed to finish another book I was reading, How to Pray After You've Kicked the Dog by Terry Tekyl. Yes, I often have more than one book going (I have been reading a couple of others for years - yes, years!)

So, this last weekend, with both the prayer book and President-elect Obama's book completed (and greaty enjoyed) I picked up The Shack. Greg and his mother were in Iowa for a few days visiting relatives, and after a few pages, I thought, "this is not a book I want to read while I am here alone." But I also could not stop reading... and I thought, "Keep reading... find out where this is going." I read late into the night until I got so sleepy that I was not fully asborbing the story... and I knew I wanted to fully absorb every word.

It took me maybe 8 hours total to read the book over a course of two days. I know I will read it again - and again. I have questions, and I want to carefully read the book again and make some notes. But my eyes are opened to many things. I now have concrete answers for some of the questions others ask me about "Spiritual" things. I know that over time, more answers will come.

Do not misunderstand me... The Shack is not boring, dry, or an overtly "religious" book. It is at times very funny, and I have some favorite lines, but to share them would spoil your fun! I also have a very clear picture in my head of who should play the central characters in a movie... and I understand that a movie will happen eventually. It will be a blockbuster!

The shelves at our local Wal-Mart are lined with copies of The Shack right now, so I know it is readily available. I will probably buy several copies to share with others - it represents a powerful tool for witnessing and sharing God's love for His children.

From the feedback of others, I knew in reason that this book would impact me greatly. The gift of a copy from my cousin reverberated one of the pervading threads of the book... loving and sharing with others as God loves us.

The Shack is at first glance a very simple book... but on second and third looks, it is much more... and I am so glad I have been introduced to this story. God can use so many people - and so many media - to reach us... and I have to say, He outdid Himself through Wm. Paul Young and The Shack.