Wednesday, November 05, 2008

November 5, 2008


It was a blustery, very windy, but beautiful day... perfect for celebrating our Mam-ma Polly's 96th birthday! Suzanne, Mike, Jasmine and I took her to lunch - at the hospital. A friend dining there found that ironic that we would take our 96-year-old grandmother to the HOSPITAL for her birthday lunch, but it IS one of the best places in town to eat. I think we all had fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, and spinach casserole. Mam-ma also had cole slaw and a roll. She passed around a huge piece of chocolate cake... I enjoyed apple pie! We sat and visited afterward and shared cards with her, and I think she had a great time... at least she said she did! She was wearing a new outfit the cousins from Oklahoma bought for her last weekend at our new STAGE and she looked very pretty.

When we got home, Mam-ma had a card in her mailbox from some former "dance hall friends" who now live out West somewhere. She was glad to get their newsy letter and the nice card. She was planning to nap, but I am betting she had a few interruptions as people phoned and dropped by to wish her well. (Remember to click on any photo to see an enlargement!)












After I left Mam-ma's I headed downtown to take care of some errands, and the trees were absolutely breathtaking. It dawned on me - "I have my camera!" So I took several shots. The first ones are Mom's sugar maples. (also notice in the third photo how yellow the tulip poplar in the front yard is!)... then Blanche and Maurel's trees, which include an elm and a dogwood. The orange sugar maples at the courtsquare are brilliant, and the last few are of beautiful trees around what used to be the "Wilkins' house" on Quitman Street. We are supposed to have a front and storms coming that will probably take out the bulk of our colorful leaves and speed us toward the bareness of winter.