Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Highs and Lows

Well, it's been an interesting few days! Sunday afternoon, I went to the house to do some "pondering" on cabinet placement, etc. Greg's mother Elaine dropped by, and we toured the house. I had helped her maneuver up a 2" x 10" plank the carpenters had affixed to the front of the house, and we had toured both floors. I had even remarked to her that I hoped nobody fell and hurt themselves if they came out to take a tour, since the stairs to the 2nd floor were "open" in spots, etc. Little did I know...

I was helping Elaine walk back down the plank, holding her hand, and I stepped off the front to the "porch" with no problem. But the NEXT step was from the porch to the ground, some 2.5 - 3 feet below, and CRUNCH! My left foot buckled underneath me, and I fell, pulling Elaine on top of me. Bottom line... Elaine is fine, but I have a chipped ankle bone! I have a temporary plaster "stirrup" splint and see an orthopedist Wednesday morning, probably for something a little more long-lasting! I also have a lovely pair of stainless steel crutches that I am fairly poor at maneuvering. The ER doc says I will "get real good" at walking on them!

So far, so good... my pain has been remarkably tolerable. God is good!

I have great caregivers... Greg is doing everything I need, and Elaine came and cooked all the fresh veggies and meat I had in the fridge so nothing would spoil and we would have meals. Mom brought a jelly roll and is making us a meatloaf! I have my laptop, ice and pillows, 2 telephones, and a big screen TV... what else could I ask for?! Well, okay... an ankle that is not the size of a softball, maybe?!


Greg went to the lot yesterday and today and took tons of photos for me. Yesterday, they worked on rafters and pouring the floor to our "safe room" (storm cellar). You'll see Hurshel, Willie and Casey pouring the concrete, wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow... a hot, tedious job, as it got to about 80 degrees yesterday! Today they are working on rafters and 2nd story flooring for attic space, and hopefully tomorrow the garage and porch floors will be poured. It's rainy here this week, so it will depend on the weather. The "window view" is from an upstairs bedroom... pretty cool, huh?!