Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July!

This is my "birthday buddy" Geraldine McCurry. I call her "Maw Mac." She and I share the same birthday - July 4th! She is 88 today... I am 49. Greg took this photo of us 2 days ago at an 80th birthday celebration for his mother, Elaine, who turned 80 on June 28.

When I was a little girl, Maw Mac and I always exchanged a piece of birthday cake on July 4th. Her mother, Granny Monroe, made a cake that included a dime and a button. If your piece included the dime, you would marry a rich man. If you got the button, you would be an old maid. I've had both the dime AND the button, so go figure!*LOL*


All our lives, everyone in the USA has celebrated our birthdays - or so it seemed. Many of my parties when I was a child included flags and red, white & blue decorations. The celebrations these days still do, and both Maw Mac and I have acquired quite a collection of "Americana" -- hers far more vast than mine! However, I do have several patriotic t-shirts, and today, Greg, Jasmine, and I went to Little Rock to shop and celebrate, and I bought red flip-flops with sequin red/white/blue stars and stars imprinted on the soles! I plan to keep the holiday going and wear them later this week!

Happy 4th to you and yours!