Monday, May 05, 2008

Can You Count the Birdies?

Yesterday we sat outside on the deck and listened to the birds. Greg said, "It's like being in the aviary at the zoo!" We think it is because of our bird feeders, as we don't remember this much of a symphony last summer! Greg has been organizing the garage, and he found a tube bird feeder with tray and refurbished it. I hung it on the stub of what was a branch to a hickory tree near our lower deck and filled it with thistle to hopefully attract some finches. Saturday morning, we came home from our garage sale trek, and the feeder was FILLED with goldfinches. I think there were close to two dozen there!

I grabbed my camera and started snapping photos. The movement and swinging of the feeder didn't help my efforts, but I managed to catch at least 11 in one frame. Aren't they beautiful?!

I am still trying to catch a picture of the pair of Indigo Buntings we have at another feeder. Apparently they are nesting in the trees near the waterfall beside our house. Stay tuned!