Saturday, October 21, 2006

Early Decades and Getting Older

Yes, I'm getting older!*LOL* Recently, we attended the Early Decades banquet, honoring alumni of Heber Springs High School who graduated 30 years ago or longer. This was my 2nd year to attend. The event was held in the Family Life Center of our church, and about 250 people attended. I saw a cousin near the entrance door to the FLC, and she said, "You're not old enough to be here!" I assured her that yes, sadly, I was! *LOL*

Greg went with me, as well as my friend and childhood neighbor, Marla Ann. We also took Olive Baldridge with us. Olive was in the class of 1931!!! My mother's class was the host class, having graduated in 1956 -- 50 years ago! They presented a wonderful program on the Missouri & North Arkansas (M & NA) Railroad, which used to pass through Cleburne County and Heber Springs. It was really interesting. At one point, the narrator, Sammye Lou Johnston Chapin mentioned that a crowd turned out on the courthouse square in 1917 to celebrate Armistice Day. Olive leaned over and said, "I remember... I was there!" She would have been 6 or 7 then. Isn't she pretty?!